Tuesday, March 9, 2021

I, Too, Will Miss You, Michael Stanley

Over the weekend as I was scrolling through Facebook, I saw the sad news that Michael Stanley Gee had passed away on Saturday from lung cancer.

 

That’s a name that may be unfamiliar to many people outside the Midwest. Heck, I’m not sure I would have even known for sure who it was – unless I took off the last name.

 

And then I’d know in an instant. The news made me sad.

 

Michael Stanley was a Cleveland icon.  And, while I didn’t technically grow up in Cleveland, Alliance was in northeast Ohio. Close enough.

 

I fell in love with the Michael Stanley Band when I was a freshman at Ohio State and was introduced to the album, Stagepass.

 

Well, okay, so the album cover intimidated the heck out of me. Even at eighteen, I couldn’t have looked like that on my best day. But, anyway…

 

When the very first notes of the song, “Midwest Midnight” began, I was hooked. I listened to that album over and over again. And many of the band’s subsequent albums.

 

I actually owned the albums, folks. Yep, I’m that old.

 

Albums eventually gave way to cassettes, which meant I could listen and sing along in my car. And then I even bought a few of the band’s CDs.

 

Now, I just have MSB songs arranged on a playlist on my phone.

 

I didn’t go to any Michael Stanley concerts. I was never really a live show concert-goer. Guess I’m not a big fan of crowds. Either that – or I don’t like having to figure out how to deal with traffic, parking and finding my seat in a big stadium.

 

I’d venture to say it was more of the latter. Even now when forced to go to some sort of event at a big venue, I am the follower. And once I finally arrive at my assigned seat, I stay there until it’s time to leave lest I get lost on the way back from the restroom.

 

Wonder if GPS works in those situations? (But I digress.)

 

I’m on a “Michael Stanley Band Fans” group on Facebook – and I have seen a plethora of tributes to him. He truly was an icon in Cleveland. After the MSB days, he formed new bands and new groups. He was on radio. He was on television. And he entertained new generations of fans.

 

But was struck me was how humble and kind he was to his fans, always.

 

I will never be able to drive at night around 270 and not sing out loud (if I’m alone) or in my head (if I’m in the car with someone) the line, “Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway” from the song “Lover” off the Heartland album.

 

So for the past couple days I’ve been playing his songs in my AirPods whenever I walk Maggie. I remember about 99.9% of the lyrics. And there are some great lyrics.

 

Whenever it has been dark while I’m walking her, I’ve been lip-syncing to songs like, “Midwest Midnight.” I lip-sync because I really don’t want my neighbors grimacing in my direction, avoiding eye contact and crossing to the other side of the street whenever they see me.

 

This, just so you know, would probably be because of my bad singing and not the fact that I’m belting out Michael Stanley tunes while walking my dog.

 

But anyway.

 


With Michael’s passing, it’s evidence that yet another big part of my youth is now gone.

 

And as his family and friends mourn his loss on a more personal level, his many fans also mourn. And I am but one.

 

Rest in peace, Michael Stanley. You were one of the good ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment