Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The Shaggy Dog (and Human) Transformation

 


Maggie had a grooming appointment the other week – shampoo, cut, blow-dry, nails – you know, the works. We were even springing for the dremel for her nails, which cost a few extra bucks.

 

And okay, so truthfully the dremel was for our own self-preservation…sometimes those nail trims leave sharp edges that hurt.

 

When we picked her up, Maggie had been transformed from the Shaggy Dog to CinderYorkie. She looked divine and smelled wonderful, to boot!

 

After I booked her appointment it occurred to me that Maggie gets beautified more often than I do these days.  I no longer get my nails done twice a month – unless I do them myself.  And I hadn’t had a hair appointment in well over seven months! How does that happen?!

 

Well, truthfully, I can withstand hair growth for seven months – it’s long, but it’s not going to interfere with my daily activities. Maggie, on the other hand, would be dragging a mop of Yorkie hair through the snow and mud on her walks.  Ick.

 

That is so not happening since I refuse to give her daily baths. Thus, it’s not all that surprising that we have her groomed more often. It’s more of a necessity – for me if not for her.

 

Nevertheless, I finally booked a hair appointment for myself.  My hair hadn’t been this long in years and I was kind of getting used to it, but it was definitely time for at least a trim.

 

For me, having my hair long makes it much easier to deal with than when it’s shorter and has some sort of style. I have to blow dry it or it frizzes – and I then have to either flat iron or curl it.

 

Instead, these days I just wash it and leave it alone.

 

My mom used to tell me that women over 40 shouldn’t have long hair. And then she changed it to 50 because I wasn’t listening to her. I thought my only other option in the short hair style was the permed poodle do.  (Can you tell I’ve never really ever had a successful short hairstyle?)

 

So I guess I’ve decided that I’m going to be that old lady with the long white hair she twines around her head in a bun. Or with the long grey braid down her back

Before
 

But I digress.

 


For now, I have to wonder why it even matters. I mean, where am I going during this pandemic that I need to impress anyone with my hairdo? I can pretty much guarantee that nobody at Kroger gives two flips about what I look like. As long as I’m wearing a mask.

 

Anyway, I drove to Alissa’s house and she transformed me once again. She only trimmed it so I no longer resembled the Shaggy Dog and put in some highlights to balance the color a little more.

 


After

I have to admit – I felt better. And I felt a little pampered. And that’s okay.

 

I feel fortunate that as I’m aging, my hair is turning white and gray, which makes it look lighter and it blends into the rest of my hair.  And, because it wasn’t really dark to begin with I haven’t had to deal with major lines of demarcation between the blonde and the grey.

 

But one thing I’ve learned during the last ten months of this pandemic is that manicured nails and perfect hair are really not all that important.

After

 

What is most important are the relationships we have with the people in our lives.

 

I miss seeing friends and getting (and giving) hugs. I miss date nights with Vince without having to weigh the pros and cons of going out in public. And I miss gathering for weddings and, yes, even funerals to honor those we love and care about.

 

So one of these days we will be able to once again gather together without being concerned about transmitting a virus that – for some people – can be deadly.  And maybe we’ll remember what it’s like not to have to wear a mask every time we leave our home. And hopefully we can eliminate the need for virtual, well, anything – virtual meetings, virtual parties and virtual book clubs.

 

Because, let’s face it – you still have to fix up a little when you participate in virtual meetings. Shaggy Dog hair notwithstanding.

 

But a virtual hug just isn’t the same as the real thing.

 

I can’t wait!

 

In the interim, I’ve decided that feeling a little better after a hair appointment can also be good. It’s a balance thing. And I’m okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment