Sunday, January 21, 2024

Brrrr. It’s Cold Outside. And I’m…Grateful?


I’ve heard of some regions in the U.S. that have gotten “waist-deep” snowfalls in the past week and I’ve watched weather reports of vehicles stuck on roads and highways because of the heavy snowstorms.

 

And who doesn’t snicker as they watch those inevitable videos with people sliding keister-first down their driveway on the ice? (Okay, the snickering may not be kind – but I always wince first and say a quick prayer that no one was hurt during the creation of that video.)

 

In contrast, we didn’t get that much snow here. It snowed on and off for three days and we got maybe four inches total.

 

Doesn’t matter. I’m not a big fan of the snow and the cold no matter how much or little we get. Before Maggie Minx, I could stay inside all toasty and warm and completely ignore the snow and the cold. I could appreciate how pretty it was – from a distance.

 

But not anymore. I’m out there on a daily basis – whether it’s nine or 90 degrees.

 

That “neither rain, nor snow…” thing doesn’t apply only to mail carriers. But dog walkers don’t get Sundays and holidays off – we’re out there every single day.

 


Yesterday morning was sunny as Maggie Minx and I trudged around the neighborhood plodding along the snow-covered sidewalks. She was desperately looking for a little grass on the ground to sniff while I was concentrating on staying upright.

 

Because green grass was nowhere to be found, Maggie sought out other dog tracks. I’m not sure if it was to help her navigate through the deep (for her) snow – or to reassure herself that other animals still lived in this white-covered terrain.

 

Even though I was all bundled up, my eyes were watering and my nose was running. So I was feeling cold and my neutral mood was quickly heading into grumpy territory.

 

But then I looked down. To the pristine snow where no doggie or people tracks marred the expanse of white. And the sun shining down caused billions of tiny sparkles in the snow. Which, if you know me at all, you know how much I love sparkles.

 


So then I started appreciating the beauty of the snow – even through my watery eyes.

 

Of course, I had to pull my phone out of my pocket to try to snap a picture. I knew it probably wouldn’t be as beautiful as real life, but I gave it a shot anyway. (A shot – haha. Get it?!)

 

Anyway, my mood instantly lifted, and I smiled as I sniffled along through the rest of our walk, vowing anew to remember to bring a Kleenex with me the next time.

 

Even though I know this, I once again came to realize that I have the power to change my mood. Rather than be annoyed that it takes me 10 minutes to bundle myself up multiple times a day to take Maggie out for a walk (and another five minutes to zip Maggie into her own purple puffy jacket), I can choose to be annoyed…

 

…or I can choose to be grateful that I have all sorts of blessings. That I have enough clothes to bundle myself and my dog up and keep (mostly) warm outside during this very cold January.

 

That I have the ability to walk with my Maggie Minx and get a little bit of exercise and fresh air, even if it’s frigid air that makes my eyes water and my nose run.

 

That once our walk is over, we get to come back inside to a warm, comfy and cozy house that gives us shelter from the snow and cold.

 


And, uh, I’m mostly grateful that I have a whole case of Kleenex here that could prevent all manner of sniffling during my walks with Maggie.

 

But seriously, I am grateful that – once in a while – we have sunshine and blue skies here in Ohio in January. That’s an instant mood-lifter if there ever was one.

 

So, yes, I’m blessed. And I’m grateful.

 

But does it make me a bad person to also wish for a mid-winter thaw? I’d even take a 40-degree day. As long as it’s sunny. And as long as my case of Kleenex lasts.

 

Happy Sunday, everyone. Stay warm. (And if you live somewhere warm already, well, I’m not talking to you. Well…okayyyy…that’s not a good attitude, Jane. To all you folks in warm environs – stay cool!)

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes…there is beauty in almost everything if we look. I miss walking my departed dog. Even in this frigid Michigan January. Your ‘ol’ neighbor, Patti Van.

    ReplyDelete