Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sore Loser?


Vince and I are on the Ski Club Euchre league this winter, so we play Euchre with a group of other cutthroat Euchre players. Well, okay, not really. Most of them are casual players and play just for fun. And then there are the serious players who are not there to chitchat or discuss the latest serving of American Idol. They’re there to maximize their points so they can win at the end of the season.

I’m there for fun, although I admit that I’d love to win. Just once. I’d even take second or third place. But I’ve never managed it.

Oh, I’m not bad. There have even been a few times I’ve been up there at the top of the list, but then I’d have a week where my score was abysmally low and I’d lose my top ranking.

Sigh. Such is the way of card playing…

So here we are embarking on our fourth week of play. I’m in 5th place. I think. I might even be tied for 5th place, I’m not sure. It doesn’t matter – because unless I have a phenomenal score tonight, I’ll stay out of the top spots and won’t win. Again.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I should think positively. But I seem to have a good week followed by a bad week. Tonight, if I’m following this same pattern, will be a bad week.

I hope not. I have to admit that I’m a little competitive and get a little cranky when I don’t play well. Okay, a LOT competitive and a LOT cranky. What can I tell you? I don’t like to lose. And, since I’m in Confession Mode…I get even crankier when Vince’s score is higher than mine.

Ooh…I probably shouldn’t have admitted that. Except that Vince totally knows how competitive I am. He’s just loving enough not to verbally point out my glaring flaw. Truthfully, Vince is a little competitive himself and freely admits it, but he’s a better poker player than I and is able to act like it doesn’t matter to him.

I guess this is why I don’t play poker. Well, I tried once. Let’s just say that I do not possess a poker face. I couldn’t contain my excitement when I was dealt a full house – only to have everyone fold before I could amass a fortune. Nor could I even pretend to bluff when I had a crappy hand.

So even though we were playing for nickels, dimes and quarters, I figured it was better to stay away from the gaming tables.

Probably I should stick to Go Fish with my 7-year-old niece. Only she has beaten me the last several times we’ve played Go Fish together. And I don’t think I could take being called a sore loser by a 7-year-old.

Hmmm…what’s left? Solitaire?

Oh well. I will just have to keep repeating, “It’s only a game…This is FUN!...It’s only a game…This is FUN!”

Maybe I’ll even believe it.

But I wouldn’t bet on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment