Friday, October 15, 2010

Nothing Says “I Love You” like Fixing a Broken Turn Signal


I came home from work last night a little frazzled because I’d had to stop at the grocery store and gas station on the way home and I knew Vince already had dinner on the table. And, okay, so it was take-out – but, hey, any meal in which I do not have to take out (ha) a pot or a pan gives him extra points in the Good Husband column.

I’d drunk an entire bottle of water right before leaving work, though, and, well, I had to go. I realized this only after I’d left the store and the gas station, so my only recourse was to make it home. Fast. So I called Vince and warned him to steer clear of the path between the door and the, uh, facilities.

As I flew through the kitchen on my way to the bathroom, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a beautiful bouquet of red roses sitting on the counter awaiting my arrival home.

Sadly, I couldn’t stop to admire them because Mother Nature is sort of mean and doesn’t allow women my age a whole lot of, um, “wiggle room” when we have to go.

But when all was right with the world again and I stopped repeating the words “Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now” from that stupid commercial, I went back to the kitchen to read the card that accompanied my Sweetest Day surprise. It read: “I love you more than roses. I love you more than anything.”

Oh, how lucky and blessed am I?

Not only did he buy the roses, but he also had them wrapped in purple paper and tied with a purple bow. This might seem like an insignificant detail – except the colors of our wedding were apple red and purple, so I knew Vince had added this touch on purpose.

After we ate dinner and arranged the roses in a vase and set them on the dining room table, we left to run a couple errands since we’re going to be out of town this weekend. On the way home from the store, Vince swung into a car parts place to see if he could fix the left turn signal on my car, which has been acting up for quite some time despite the installation of numerous replacement bulbs at $7 a pop.

While Vince and the guy from the store did their male thing of fiddling around under the hood trying to get the part to operate properly, I sat in comfort inside the car reading the last chapter of my book and feeling grateful that I wasn’t standing outside around the front of my car with an equally perplexed look on my face.

Unfortunately, they weren’t able to fix the turn signal, so Vince said he’d take my car in to the dealership today to have it looked at. (And to have the oil changed, too, while he was at it.) And all this on his day off work.

Did I already say I was blessed?

Handling these sorts of things for me says “I love you” just as much as the beautiful roses sitting on the dining room table.

We have a little inside joke where Vince says, “So…you think you’ll keep me around for another week?” I usually pause, tap my finger against my cheek as if I’m thinking about it and say, “Yeahhhh…I think I’ll keep you around for another week.”

But you know what? I think I’ll keep him around for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment