Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Baby, it's Cold Outside!


So I woke up this morning and it was fall. No, not officially-according-to-the-calendar-fall – but according to my very own personal Fall-O-Meter. My fingers, toes and the tip of my nose were cold – and that’s a surefire way I know that summer is over and we can expect snow flurries to arrive any day now.

Well, perhaps I exaggerate just a tad – but I’m pessimistic when it comes to winter, so I prepare for the worst.

Hmmm…I suppose this means we should turn off the A/C at home, shouldn’t we? No sense in cooling the place while wearing footie pajamas and earmuffs around the ol’ homestead, eh?

Today was the kind of fall day that would be ideally suited to staying at home on the couch wrapped up in a fuzzy blanket sipping a cup of hot chocolate while a fire crackles merrily in the hearth. (I suppose a fire could crackle angrily, too, but that seems more like the kind of fire that is not safely contained inside a hearth.)

But, anyway…

While the scenario above might be a perfect way to spend a cold, rainy Monday I was, naturally, at work all day. And I was blowing on my cold fingers and curling my toes inside my socks to try and warm up a little. To no avail, mind you.

There must be some unofficial office rule that states employees cannot turn the heat on the day after the air conditioning has been on – so I didn’t dare touch the thermostat. But I was sorely tempted as my corduroy jacket did absolutely nothing to keep me from shivering. Perhaps I should have replaced the tank top underneath the jacket with a turtleneck, but I wasn’t that prepared for a cold, rainy fall day. Hey, I figured I was good to have the corduroy jacket and socks at the ready. It was, after all, a few short days ago that I was wearing short sleeves and flip flops.

Of course, there is something to be said for the changing of the seasons. For one, it means that I get to wear the cool new boots I purchased for a phenomenal sale price at the end of last season, but never had the chance to wear. And being bundled from head to toe is a good way to cover up those ghostly pale limbs that never seemed to tan despite many a foray to the pool this past summer.

Plus, I get to drive with the butt-warmers on now. Yay. LOVE leather seats in a car that comes equipped with butt-warmers! It makes driving around in cold, snowy Ohio a little less, well, butt-cold! Ha ha. Aren’t I funny?

So I’m doing my best to think positively about the upcoming weather changes here in Central Ohio. I'll concentrate on the holiday season fast approaching...no, wait! That causes stress. I haven't even thought about buying the first gift or card or stamp, nor have we discussed where we'll be spending various holidays this year.

Hmm...perhaps I can instead think about crisp fall evenings being cuddled up on the couch with my Vince enjoying a glass of vino and, yes, sitting in front of a crackling fire. Ahh...that's the stuff. Hopefully I can concentrate on that rather than the upcoming piles of snow outside that will have to be shoveled and the painstakingly slow commutes to work and back caused by a few little snowflakes on the ground.

Oh well. It doesn't do any good to worry about this stuff – the weather changes every year whether I want it to or not. Besides, almost every year we deal with a cold snap in September, which causes some of us to start thinking about snow...only to have hot weather return for a few more days where short sleeves and flip flops are more appropriate clothing than corduroy jackets and ear muffs.

But I still think I'm gonna haul out those turtlenecks. And the footie pajamas. And I may just turn the butt-warmers to the “on” position and leave them there permanently 'til next spring.

Yeah, I'm likin' that idea. If anyone needs me, I'll be out sitting in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment