Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sex & the City 2

One of the few activities we did over the Memorial Day weekend was to go to the movies. Somehow I was able to persuade Vince to see “Sex & The City 2.” I think perhaps he thought that the “sex” part might be a little more featured, but other than a brief glimpse of a naked male backside, he was out of luck. (I, on the other hand, didn’t mind so much as it was a particularly nice male backside.)

Um…anyway…sorry…my mind wandered for a minute there. What was I saying??

Oh yeah. We went to a matinee showing and saved a few dollars, which was probably a good thing. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy the movie, but who wants to pay full price when you can see the same flick for a few bucks less?

I did, however, leave the movie (a) feeling frumpy and (b) wondering why I’m always trying so hard to get all my belongings stuffed in a single tiny suitcase that will fit into the overhead compartment on an airplane. Oh, that’s right. Because paying an extra $25-50 to check a bag these days is not how I want to spend my money.

Did I mention frumpy? Sheesh. Women in real life cannot possibly compete. The jewelry they wore alone would take up an entire fleet of suitcases.

The plot is basically that Samantha gets invited to Abu Dhabi by a rich guy who wants her to publicize his new to-die-for hotel, and she finagles invites for her three best friends, Carrie, Charlotte and Miranda. First class all the way and all expenses paid.

Yeah, like that happens in real life. Except for one time when I was invited to go along with some friends to their new condo in North Carolina and didn’t have to spend any of my own money to get there or get home, no one has ever offered me a freebie that comes even close. Oh, and when we got to the new condo in North Carolina? There was no furniture yet so we all slept on the floor.

Not quite the same thing.

Each character in this movie had her own butler and car and driver. Not to mention people to haul around their many suitcases. They were in an incredibly beautiful suite with its own kitchen and bar that (at the end of the movie), we discover rents for $22,000 per night!

Clearly, this movie does not resemble anything remotely real life – or at least not anything in my real life! So, instead of scoffing at the unrealistic aspects of the flick, I mostly focused on the clothes. And jewelry. And shoes. And hats. Each outfit on each character in each scene probably cost more than my monthly salary. Heck, the dry cleaning alone probably cost more!

Ah well. It was a little bit of escapism. Plus, the theater was air-conditioned and, if you read yesterday’s blog, you know that we were sans A/C over the weekend. So that was a big plus, right there – almost worth the price of admission.

Neither Vince nor I left the movie raving about the incredible plot or acting skills and I’d venture to say that no one will be nominated for any awards, but I guess I didn’t go in with the expectation that it would be anything more than it was. I do admit, however, that I miss the series. Movies that emerge from cancelled television series just don’t seem to live up to the hype.

And, like I said, poor Vince didn’t get to see much in the way of sex. Oh, wait a minute. Now that I think about it, there was a scene where Charlotte’s nanny walked around braless – and they showed her jumping up and down in slo-mo. I’m guessing this scene was made expressly for the male audience members who were dragged to the movie by their significant others. So, see, honey? You got your eye candy, too!

And, yes, next time you get to pick the movie. But try to pick an action flick, okay? I don't care so much about camouflage and automatic weapons...and at least I won't leave the theater feeling quite so frumpy!

No comments:

Post a Comment