Friday, March 19, 2010

WAKE UP!

I’m happy to say that I’m actually awake today. For the past few days I’ve been in sort of a fog and never really felt like I woke up. This may be because I’ve been waking up at 5AM every morning and then once I realize I’m too early, I fall back asleep only to have my alarm interrupt that good REM sleep an hour and a half later.

By last night after work, I realized I was tired and had a headache and wanted nothing but a nap. So once I arrived home, I immediately stumbled upstairs for said nap. Vince woke me up around 8PM and we managed a semblance of a normal Thursday evening. We had dinner and talked and watched the NCAA games and crossed our lousy picks off our brackets. (Murray State – really? Come on. Be honest now…before this tournament, had you ever even heard of Murray State?)

But I digress.

The time change thing really does temporarily mess with my naturally sunny and cheery disposition. Vince is saying right about now, “Your…what??! I believe I’m going to need additional proof!”

Nah. I’m not that bad, although I do have my cranky moments. Like the other day when Vince innocently asked me, “Hi honey, how was your day?” and I replied, “DON’T TALK TO ME! CAN’T YOU SEE THAT IT’S TOO SUNNY OUT?!?!”

Okay, so that didn’t really happen – I just wanted Vince to see how cranky I really could be if I tried hard enough. Ha ha. And now he’s probably wondering what he has gotten himself into.

There was a moment this morning when it could’ve gone either way. I’d set my alarm to get up an extra 15 minutes early so I could wash, dry and style my hair. As my hair is relatively long, thick and has a mind of its own, this is a complicated undertaking and not a job for the timid. Should hair washing be absolutely necessary and I haven’t allotted enough time in my schedule, I will sport frizzy, unruly hair and I will feel all day as if I need a “do-over.”

So I told Vince I was setting the alarm early and that he should gently remind me I needed to get up once the alarm sounded. I said, “But don’t push me out of bed – you know that pisses me off!” When he asked me what action I would find acceptable, I replied, “Just say ‘hair washing’ and I will immediately get up.”

Poor guy. He must’ve forgotten the magic words because when the alarm went off he started pushing me out of bed. When I grumbled at him, he said (all innocent-like), “I’m just stretching my legs!” Uh huh.

Fortunately, I did get up and I did wash my hair. And it’s not frizzy and unruly today, so I’m happy. But I learned some important lessons here: 1) never ask your husband to gently remind you to get up as he WILL use it as an excuse to push you out of bed, and 2) I should probably start washing my hair in the evening to avoid early wake-up calls and ugly hair.

Oh, and 3) naps are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment