Thursday, March 18, 2010

Breakfast of...Champions?

One of the cool things about being married to Vince is that he is incredibly thoughtful and considerate. He gets up every morning and brews coffee and prepares breakfast for us. It might be as simple as a bowl of yogurt or cold cereal, but it might also be as involved as hauling out a pan, firing up the stove and cooking a coupla eggs. Believe me, that’s a vast improvement over my single days when I’d grab a breakfast bar and a can of Diet Coke as I flew out the door.

Now, on occasion, I even allot enough time to come downstairs and give him a hand. Yeah, so the “hand” might only involve putting our vitamins on the table or grabbing spoons from the silverware drawer, but, c’mon….I’ve already admitted that I’m not a morning person. I figure I’m doing well to come downstairs in enough time to sit down at the table and eat breakfast!

This morning I was ready a few minutes earlier and I was able to collect the bowls of cereal from Vince’s hands and transfer them to the table. And, as we said our morning prayer, I looked down and realized that I accidentally put Vince’s bowl of cereal in my place. He just bought a box of some sort of flax cereal. Ugh. That sounds as appetizing as eating a bowl of Styrofoam. Or cardboard.

But, because I’m SUCH an adventurous eater, I figured I’d eat a flake or two just to try them. And, um, no…I can’t claim to have been wrong. They tasted a little like flavorless cardboard. Not that I actually know what cardboard tastes like – unless somewhere in my adventurous baby years I tried it and the taste of it is imprinted on my brain.

As soon as the word “Amen” was out of my mouth, I quickly switched the bowls. Give me some raisins in my bran and I’m a happy person. I suspect that if there were no raisins in my bran, I’d feel the same way – that the bran part of the cereal tasted like flavorless cardboard.

Sigh. It sucks growing up sometimes, doesn’t it? When I was a kid I used to love Fruit Loops and Cap’n Crunch. Well, except the Cap’n Crunch used to tear the heck out of the roof of my mouth. So you had to allow Cap’n Crunch to sit in the milk for the precise amount of time so that they were softer yet retained some of their crispness. Without, of course, being mushy. Mushy Cap’n Crunch was not a good thing.

On the other hand, if you’ve ever tried Fruit Loops or Cap’n Crunch as an adult, you probably realize how nasty it really is. You might as well take the canister of sugar and dump it in a bowl and call it a day.

So I guess for now I’m sticking with Raisin Bran. Maybe in another decade or so and I’ll be eating Flax. Ugh. Or maybe I should save some money and just tear up some cardboard and pour some milk over it. Hey, honey – breakfast is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment