Monday, August 30, 2010

Five-Thirty in the Morning


I cannot believe the weekend is over already! Wasn’t it just Friday afternoon and we had the whole weekend ahead of us??

A friend of mine sent me an e-mail the other day and said that, statistically speaking, time does in fact move faster the older one gets. But please don’t ask me to explain her theory because once I read the word “statistics” my eyes glazed over and I started to get heart palpitations – so the message never really penetrated my brain.

Anyway, it’s Monday and I’m a little bleary-eyed and yawning…but I arrived at the office on time this morning. This is actually quite a feat as I was contemplating getting dressed and applying a little makeup right about the time I usually walk out the door.

Sadly, by the time I’d woken up, I’d already failed at something. I was planning to wake up at 5:30 and go to the gym. But when the alarm went off at 5:30 this morning I didn’t even consider getting out of bed. I simply changed the wake-up time to 7AM and promptly fell back asleep.

Where’s the energy? Where’s the commitment?

Oh, I don’t know. But perhaps I shouldn’t have stayed up past midnight reading. Yeah, that was probably a contributing factor. But I’m in the middle of the third book in the Stieg Larsson’s series, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest. Instead of making me sleepy, reading books energizes me and I have a hard time stopping. I’ll tell myself, just one more chapter…and then two hours later, I’m still at it. In the past I’ve been known to stay up all night to finish a book because I was so engrossed.

So, who am I trying to kid? Clearly, I had no intention of getting up at 5:30 this morning to go to the gym. If I had, I would have put the book down in order to get the proper amount of rest. Plus, I also would’ve packed my gym bag last night.

Sounds simple, but packing a gym bag at 5:30 in the morning would be more than I could handle. I’m not awake at that time. Probably I would’ve forgotten something crucial. Like pants. Think how embarrassing it would be showing up at work with a soggy towel wrapped around my waist.

One time – in my former single days when I did somehow manage to get up on a fairly regular basis to work out in the morning – I packed my gym bag in a hurry and I ended up literally with two left shoes. Another time, I forgot my hair dryer and showed up at work with dripping hair. In the middle of winter.

So being of sound mind is important when packing my gym bag for a morning workout in which showering and changing into work clothes is part of the plan.

Some might say I’m never of “sound mind” – and, haha – aren’t you funny! But, seriously, my mind functions just fine. Just not at 5:30 in the morning.

But as Scarlett O’Hara once said, “…tomorrow is another day!” and I will have another opportunity to get up, get dressed and get to the gym. So probably I should head straight home from work, pack my gym bag and plan to get to bed early.

If I could only answer a crucial question: why in the world did I decide that working out at 5:30 in the morning was a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment