Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My Crappy Week...


I’ve had a really crappy week so far.  Some of it is personal and some of it is work-related.  The personal stuff worries me and the work stuff mostly pisses me off.

The worst thing is I can’t even remember what day it is. This is not good. Oh, sure, part of the concern is that I worry that I’m losin’ my mind.  But mostly I’m concerned because I can’t figure out how many days I have to endure until it’s the weekend.

It’s rainy and it’s cold. And my umbrella broke on the way into the office this morning and collapsed on my head.  If I had a better sense of humor these days, it might have made me laugh, but instead I walked into the office shaking water off my formerly coiffed hair and grumbling about stupid, cheap umbrellas.

Oh, and it’s supposed to snow later, which probably means that the temperature is planning to drop and we’ll have a nice little layer of ice under that new fallen snow.  Oh goodie. 

Like most Midwesterners around this point in the season, I’m well and truly sick of winter.   

As for my personal problems, well, they’re not really my problems at all.  But they’re surely worth worrying about.  I have a friend who’s facing triple-bypass surgery this Friday.  And, yes, I know that physicians perform this type of surgery every day and maybe they could do it with one hand tied behind their back and with one eye closed – but when it’s a friend on the operating table, it’s still cause for worry.  Not only that, but my cousin is also in the hospital with serious heart problems.  We’ve been saying so many prayers, I think we all have God on speed-dial.

And then there is work.  Right before lunch I found out that the vendor-from-hell I’m forced to deal with screwed up again.  This should not surprise me and yet it does. Day after day, month after month, year after year. He probably has the worst case of ADHD I have ever encountered and cannot focus on anything longer than a nanosecond. 

Do not ask me how he’s managed to build a business.  Oh…wait.  That’s right – his father built the business.  He is, perhaps, merely running it into the ground. 

I have tried putting double- and triple-checks in place. I fax him. When he doesn’t “see” the fax, I email him. Then he tells me he never received the email. I attach “Read Receipt” notices to his emails, but he elects to not notify me that he has read the email.  I call him to alert him that a fax is coming or an email has been sent – but he doesn’t answer his phone and evidently doesn’t listen to the voicemail.  And nothing is EVER his fault.

It’s enough to cause a person to run screaming from the building.

Unfortunately, it made me run to Kroger instead and purchase, in addition to my healthy salad, a slice of red velvet cake.  Oh, great, just what I need. A guilt trip to add to my megabag of frustration!

But…I must admit…the red velvet cake was pretty darn tasty.  And it lulled me into a sugar coma that made me forget my vendor-from-hell.

Well, at least until I returned to the office and had to deal with the situation and tap dance my way through another quickie fix and an apology.

And then I looked on Facebook and saw this cartoon:

It shouldn’t have – but it made me laugh. Out loud. Thank goodness no one was around to hear me because I think there was a tiny note of hysteria in the laughter.  But still.  Those little magical endorphins that are released with laughter coursed through my body and made me feel better. 

Plus, I imagined throwing a plate of spaghetti and meatballs at my attention-span-of-a-gnat vendor - and that made me giggle, too.

And  a little while later – after my boss realized I wasn’t going to run screaming from the building permanently, he came back to my office and handed me a little “bonus” and told me to take my husband out to dinner.  Nice.

Now if I can just keep on keepin’ on through the end of my week – I may just make it. 

Oh, and yes, I DO know what day of the week it is.  Not that I figured it out on my own. The UPS guy was just here and wished me a Happy Hump Day. 

He probably wondered why I looked at him with such relief and said, “You’re a lifesaver!”  

Thank goodness for UPS guys, eh?!

So...like the post-it note above says, "When nothing goes right...go left."  Either that - or maybe there's nowhere to go but up?  That'd work, too.

Happy Hump Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment