Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bad Wife?

Sometimes I don’t think I make a very good wife. While I’m still relatively new at the job, I’m wondering if perhaps I didn’t study the manual as diligently as I should have. Maybe there is a remedial training course I can take?

Since Vince and I became a couple, he has gotten up every morning to make breakfast as I’m usually the one who leaves the domicile first. That is true whether he needed to be up and starting his day or had the chance to sleep in. But I probably need only one hand to count the number of times he slept in and didn’t get up with me in the morning.

This morning, however, Vince was the one who had to be up early and out the door by 6:30. AM. (As in wayyy too freakin’ early and I AM not gettin’ up yet!) I briefly considered dragging myself out of bed at 5:50 to start the coffee and maybe pour him a bowl of flax cereal, but I quickly discarded that idea when his alarm went off. I mean, come on! How many times do I have to say I am not a morning person? Besides, there should be an exception to the rule of getting up with one’s spouse for any portion of the morning that begins with the number 5.

Heck, when my alarm goes off at 7AM, I usually have an argument with myself:
Responsible Jane: Get up!
Sleepy Jane: No. Another 20 minutes. C’mon.
Responsible Jane: It’s hair washing day. Do you want to go to work looking like a drowned rat?
Sleepy Jane: I don’t care. I’ll wear a hat.

You’d be surprised how often Sleepy Jane wins this argument. And, yes, I am sometimes chagrined to see myself in the mirror later. A drowned rat is a fairly apt description.

Actually, I fell completely back asleep after Vince shut off his alarm, so getting up to make him breakfast was moot. I didn’t wake up again until he came upstairs and spritzed on some cologne, which is his final prep step before walking out the door. Although I must say that waking up to the scent of Armani isn’t a bad way to wake up.

But I didn’t, in fact, get out of bed until 7:20 AM because (a) Sleepy Jane won the argument this morning, and (b) it was not a hair-washing day. Fortunately, I managed to get myself out the door on time and actually had the added cushion time that allows for delays by either train or orange barrel. There were both this morning, by the way, yet I arrived at work with minutes to spare.

But I do feel sort of guilty that I wasn’t up to see Vince walk out the door and give him a goodbye smooch.

Oh well. I will try to make up for it later. His being gone this morning makes me appreciate him even more for the kind, loving man he is. Maybe I’m not the greatest wife in the world, but I’d have to say I’m a pretty lucky one.

I just hope his leaving the house at 6:30 in the morning doesn’t become an every-day routine. If it does, Sleepy Jane is going to start having issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment